Each year on April 22, Earth Day is observed to celebrate the anniversary of the modern environmental movement.
Created in 1970, the movement enacted policy and agencies to help protect and preserve the earth, its resources, and its inhabitants. Everything from the Clean Air Act, to the Environmental Protection Agency, to the Clean Water Act just two years later, Earth Day continues to draw attention to the health of our earth and encourages ongoing efforts to conserve and preserve.
Many of our tenants have adopted business practices, operations, packaging, and initiatives that help reduce the negative environmental impacts.
INVESTING IN GREEN ENERGY
As global demand for power continues to grow, more and more businesses are investing in renewable energy sources (wind, solar, hydroelectric).
In fact, four of our brands are on the EPA’s Top 30 list of Green Power Partners: Starbucks (2), H&M (7), REI (9), and Macy’s (27).
ENVIRONMENTALLY-FRIENDLY BUSINESS PRACTICES
Businesses across the globe are investing in eco-friendly options to reduce their impact on the planet. Here are a few of our brands’ cool initiatives you’ll find on-property:
- LUSH: Packageless products, responsibly-sourced ingredients, recyclable and compostable materials. Learn more about all of LUSH’s environmental work.
- Madewell: Jeans recycling program. Learn more about the Blue Jeans Go Green program.
- Nordstrom: Embracing Circularity: accepting beauty care bottles and containers to ensure they are properly recycled; partnering with organizations that encourages extending the life of a product by donating it. Learn more about Nordstrom’s initiatives.
EASTON’S ENVIRONMENTAL INITIATIVES
We are a shopping, dining, health, wellness, and entertainment destination for millions of guests each year, so it’s imperative that we take sustainability and eco-friendly practices seriously. Our small steps steward a healthy, sustainable environment, benefitting our community and beyond.
Here are just some of our initiatives:
- 18 electric charging stations across four locations, free to anyone driving an electric vehicle
- Hybrid security and transit vehicles, and street-legal golf carts to reduce fossil fuel emissions from gas-powered vehicles
- A battery recycling service for guests – simply bring used batteries to the Guest Services desk in the Easton Station Building
- Reflective roofing materials on newly-constructed buildings that reflect the sun’s rays back into the atmosphere, keeping the building cooler, using less HVAC energy
Together, we can make every day Earth Day!